Welcome to November! National Novel Writing Month is upon us again, a whole 30 days for writers to put their excuses aside, scrape together all those loose ideas, and finally write that 50,000-word novel! It’s certainly an intimidating task to say the least, but a little motivation can go a long way in helping you get started. Last year, I shared some helpful writing tips in the form of 10 inspirational quotes from famous authors, so this year I’m sharing some more quotes, this time about the creative process and what it means to be a writer.
So on that note, here are 10 more inspirational writing quotes for novel-writing motivation. Enjoy, and good luck in this year’s NaNoWriMo!
1) The scariest moment is always just before you start. – Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
2) And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. – Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
3) Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters. – Neil Gaiman
4) There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. – Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
5) You must write every single day of your life… You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads… may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world. – Ray Bradbury
6) Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty. There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. – Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
7) I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn. – Anne Frank
8) Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind. – Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own
9) The first draft is just you telling yourself the story. – Terry Pratchett
10) Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on. – Louis L’Amour
What are your thoughts on these writing quotes? Any others you’d add to the inspirational list for NaNoWriMo?